In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Hippodrome structure consists of load-bearing exterior brick masonry walls with interior steel columns and beams.
- Recycled-plastic lumber is not strong enough to use for structural members, such as load-bearing walls, deck frames or floor joists, so you'll need to use traditional wood for those areas.
- The building structure consists of precast coreslab floors and roof, supported on load-bearing masonry walls or steel frame.
- The exterior of the Oklahoma City Federal Building is a load-bearing wall that enables forces to arch over any damaged portions while the wall resists lateral and gravity loads.
- And just as importantly to masonry contractors, designers will be specifying more of their load-bearing walls as grouted and reinforced.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.