In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At the moorland region, you find the giant groundsels and lobelias common in the high altitude mountain regions of eastern Africa.
- Annual bedding plants such as lobelia, salvia, petunia and busy Lizzie can be started early.
- Petunias, vinca vine, blue lobelia and alyssum all filled out quickly to cover the box.
- Herbal treatments may include garlic, eucalyptus, licorice, lobelia, marshmallow, red clover and saw palmetto.
- She grows low or trailing annuals like alyssum, lobelias, and petunias along the edges of the beds, with taller cosmos, poppies, and zinnias behind.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.