In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He will then visit the local schools in the area before making his way to Athy.
- One of the major factors in determining the price petrol is sold at in an area is the local competition.
- Take a look at some of the local areas where we polled strongly.
- The climb is also interspersed by information from the guide on the history of the bridge, the city and the local area.
- To that end, he has already visited the area to test local reaction.
- It is hoped that next year we will do a full breakdown on the history of many local organisations in the area.
- Also, the council are looking at changing the signing for towns in the borough to improve local identity in the area.
- A journey with many stops, this is living life local train style, in less than ten seconds.
- Domestic services in Kent will also benefit from the link with local trains using part of it from 2007.
- The class ask her to fill in the gaps in the local history of the area, which is not always in the history books.
- One of these boys who use the local train for their nefarious activities become the victim of a braggart.
- This ensures they get to where they need to be as quickly as possible, thanks to the police's local knowledge of the area.
- Possibly the local train may have observed something which may throw some light upon the matter.
- He said the sub committee would be comprised of local people who knew the local history and area.
- Many residents had lived in the surrounding streets before moving into the home which was highly regarded in the local area.
- The LA website supports the work of local authorities in driving through the education and children's services reform agenda.
- We'll be forced then to re-evaluate our food systems and place more emphasis on energy efficient agricultural methods, like smaller-scale organic agriculture, and on local production wherever possible.
- And in no way feel constrained if interest or circumstances confine your study to your local area.
- Just try and recall the poor people you have seen on the streets, in local trains, and in slums.
- This will take place at local neighbourhood level and through area or township committees.
- The company has produced greetings cards which include recipes made from food produced in the local area.
- We travelled to Goregaon in a local train and took a rick back to suku's place.
- You can get a glimpse of this by the way that commuters hanging from the local train will pull in a man running late.
- In particular, the spread of housing in rural areas should be severely restricted to local need.
- The Park and Ride would also serve the new centre, attracting people from a wider area and boosting the local economy.
- Pupils at a Bolton school are set to embark on a fascinating journey of discovery into the history of their local area.
- The camp is open for all clubs in the area and hopefully the local club rivalry will be put aside for one week during the camp!
1.1Medicine(anesthetic) local(infection) localizado
- However, as it only appeared in the left foot, it was probably just a local infection which may have caused the man to limp.
- It looks for local keys, not over the Internet, and that's very much the point.
- The files are on your local computer, and you need to upload them to the Web server.
- Set up a node on your local machine and use some test files to insert and request.
- Each group of cameras feeds into a local computer as well as transmitting its pictures to the monitoring station.
- This is not a critical risk, as only people on the local machine may logon to this account with a blank password.
- BT could be ready to cut charges that give rival operators access to its local network.
2(newspaper/dialect/custom) local(council/election) municipal(train/bus) urbanoI don't use the local shops — no compro en las tiendas del barrio (/ de la zona etc. )
- he's a local man — es de aquí (/ de allí)
- the local community — los vecinos / habitantes de la zona
- the local priest — el cura de la parroquia (/ del pueblo etc. )
- a local specialty — una especialidad de la localidad (/ de la región etc. )
- the local wine — el vino del país
- at three o'clock local time — a las tres, hora local
- here is the local weather forecast — este es el pronóstico del tiempo para la región
- a local call — una llamada local
1(inhabitant)he's not a local — no es de aquí (/ de allí)
- the locals say it's true — los (vecinos) del lugar dicen que es verdad
2Britishinformal(pub)our local — el bar de nuestro barrio (/ de nuestra zona etc. )
bar de la zona donde se vive
3informal(anesthetic)anestesia local feminine
tren que para en todas las estaciones
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.