In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ayuntamiento masculinealcaldía femininemunicipio masculine
- Housing associations work with the police and local authorities to secure the orders.
- Even tattoo artists and body piercers have to be regulated with the local authority.
- We would expect the local authorities to take account of the new Scottish Executive guidance.
- Such legislation is understood to be the responsibility of the local authority.
- So all rubbish should be sorted and the local authority should have it collected accordingly.
- In a sickening move Steve was told last week that his son would be kicked out of the nursery run by the local authority.
- New legislation means the markets can resume under licence from the local authority.
- The system of funding for coroners is that they are funded by local authorities.
- The levy, funded from the Council Tax, will come from all the local authorities in the region.
- The legislation does not insist local authorities or health boards must put resources into the area.
- It enlarges the tax base and provides more money for government and local authorities to spend.
- So the scope of Palestinian control amounts to no more than that exercised by a local authority.
- Bradford Council is one of the few local authorities to still keep and employ its own horses.
- Similar rotten coalitions have taken control of at least seven other local authorities.
- There has been a running battle where I live between local residents and the local authority.
- If Glasgow scraps the opt-out, other local authorities are likely to follow suit.
- The government and local authorities use public money to campaign for their policies.
- Once the plans have been adopted by all local authorities they will be sent to the Government.
- The Conservative governments bypassed local authorities in many policy fields.
- Bradford Council is one of the first local authorities to publish the allowances on its web site this year.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.