In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That locution is uttered as if it is some fatal sequence of human conduct.
- The downside of using both locutions is redundancy; the upside is precision and clarity, though I realize that the trade-off here is controversial.
- Her locutions seem to have neither introductions nor conclusions but begin from a place of inquiry and intimacy.
- Perhaps ‘unavoidable circumstances’ would be a better locution?
- What I do remember about Eddie Rademeyer is a particular locution he favoured when a question of his was met with a blank stare by some poor uncomprehending pupil.
- These locutions are determinedly descriptive.
- His earliest plays were political, ridiculing the wooden locutions of communist rhetoric.
- For these reasons, we try to help our students understand the pejorative implications of such stereotypical locutions and believe that what they say matters.
- Today, any state-sponsored eugenic ideology would surely face considerable opposition, but instead we have (to use the barbarous locution now common) ‘privatized’ eugenic decisions.
- In one of the courtrooms here, the air is thick with quaint-sounding British courtroom locutions.
- This reduces ‘constitutional right’ to a fancy locution for ‘rights I think are important’.
- This depends on the interpreter's culturally specific understanding of the social significance of the locution.
- Occasionally, we shall employ the locution, ‘land rent,’ which is technically redundant; we do so merely to provide recurring emphasis as a reminder of what is meant.
- Even the most resistive of these locutions, however, do not explicitly embrace feminism or seek any larger political context.
- It is easy to paraphrase another author's ideas or incorporate his or her locutions without crediting the source.
- What is chilling is that Mullen's masterfully deformed locutions sound more like clarifying paraphrases than like parodies.
- This locution is recurrent in the accumulating commentary on Desiderio's paintings.
- At any rate, my defense of Barber's diction, if it needs one, is that not being graced or burdened with the role of authorized biographer, he may have felt authorized to employ unofficial, slangy locutions.
- One of my least favorite locutions in politics is the statement by an official or politician that someone's criticism of government policy is ‘unhelpful.’
- We are not using locutions of that kind in this case for reasons found in the history of the argument.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.