In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(British) (attic)desván masculinebuhardilla feminineático masculinealtillo masculinezarzo masculine Colombialoft ladder — escalera del desván (/ de la buhardilla etc. )
- In the past, many cottages consisted of only one or two rooms, plus a sleeping loft.
- Beyond the ground floor, however, the transformation of the office building into lofts has taken a controversial turn.
- Ither's house was actually a loft in an apartment building.
- The resulting mixed-use complex has 175,000 square feet of commercial space and 171 residential lofts.
- Renovations of his SoHo loft in Manhattan were featured in a glowing article in Architectural Digest.
- In the rear of a house just half a block away from my house, there was a three-garage outbuilding with storage lofts above each garage.
- The 67-unit project contains a wide variety of housing types, including two- and three-story townhouses, flats, lofts, and three single-family houses on the north end.
- My friend James got a good deal on a couple of cases of wine but the only room he had for storage was in his loft.
- The inside has a sleeping loft that will sleep 4-6.
- The ‘new’ museum combines modern elements with remnants of the original structure in an adaptive reuse that also includes public and private office space and residential lofts.
- In fact, sleeping is relegated to a front room and the loft, and the bigger bunkroom space is used as an alternate living room.
- Whimsical designs have cropped up everywhere from downtown lofts to uptown ranch homes.
- The second-floor loft, which used to house Plantation, their plant and flower warehouse, is for rent.
- Graham spent the bulk of his day today sorting out the junk in the garage, creating a boarded storage loft in the roof space, and separating out a couple of loads of rubbish to go to the recycling centre tomorrow.
- Measures as simple as insulating lofts and switching off appliances can help to combat the problem.
- Is there space in your garage or carport for a storage loft?
- They bought the former council house and converted the loft into a bedroom for their two eldest daughters.
- The top floor flat even has a modish sleeping loft overlooking the living space below.
- They will probably convert the loft and I would guess the kitchen and bathroom will be totally changed.
- Since the bridge blocks much of the sunlight shining in the loft's direction, Brayton had to devise ways to warm the space from the inside.
1.3(US) (in warehouse)loft masculine
- Now, warehouse-style lofts and apartments continue to attract more people.
- That space consists largely of residential blocks and light industrial space and warehousing easily converted to lofts, on the eastern side of the city.
- She raved about how she could convert the factory space into a fabulous loft for herself.
- In 1999, after three years of construction, the old candy factory on the corner of Queen and Shaw reopened, converted into stylish and expensive residential lofts.
- Turn some of the factories into lofts using the New York limitation that only registered artists and cultural people can rent them.
- In recent years, developers had considered converting the building into lofts, but a deal did not materialize.
- North of the famous commercial area, the Loop, converted factory lofts now house ethnic art galleries and yuppie advertising agencies.
- The mill, with its well-cultivated catacomb charm, factory building bleakness and fancy lofts, could be described as the home of the New Leipzig School if you want to think of it in home terms.
- On one job we were building a loft in a large warehouse.
- The brick and the exposed duct work make this place feel like one of those trendy, oversize lofts that was converted from an old factory.
espacio comercial convertido en residencia
1.4(elevated area)galería femininechoir/organ loft — galería del coro/órgano
- Other getaway realms include the loft and the lower level.
1(ball) lanzar por lo alto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.