In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The logarithm remains an important mathematical function but its use in calculating has gone for ever.
- Vega wrote on artillery but he is best remembered for his tables of logarithms and trigonometric functions.
- This was a person whose job was to perform long and arduous calculations to find the values of logarithms and trig functions, calculations we now perform with electronic calculators.
- All reading times were converted to words read per minute, then transformed to base 10 logarithms for the analyses because they were positively skewed.
- Prior to any statistical analysis, variables with non-normal distributions were transformed to logarithms, and percentage values were arcsin transformed.
- The first tabulates logarithms of the sine, cosine, tangent and cotangent functions at 1 intervals and shows how to solve triangles using logarithmic functions.
- Initial assignment to linkage groups was based on the logarithm of the odds ratio for each possible marker pair.
- He observed that the pages of heavily used books of logarithms were grimier at the beginning than at the end, suggesting that fellow scientists tended to look up smaller numbers more often than larger ones.
- The tables of logarithms which he published included logarithms of trigonometric functions for use by astronomers.
- They sketch a normalization algorithm, which is based on computing logarithms of transition matrices which they approximate by power series.
- The computation of logarithms had made him aware of the inaccuracy of human calculation around 1812.
- He invented logarithms independently of Napier using a totally different approach.
- It was a 17th century Scottish baron, John Napier, who first discovered the power of the logarithm as an important function in mathematics.
- The coefficients of this regression are the logarithm of the odds ratio.
- Other examples are negative numbers, complex numbers, trigonometry, raising to powers, logarithms, and the beginnings of calculus.
- The relationship between water potential and vapor pressure is well defined also, being proportional to the logarithm of the ratio of actual vapor pressure to the saturation vapor pressure.
- Other topics to interest Carslaw throughout his career, which we have not touched on above, included an interest in non-euclidean geometry, Green's functions and the history of Napier's logarithms.
- The link between the harmonic series and logarithms is even more intimate.
- We can use arithmetics with different bases, fractions, decimals, logarithms, powers, or simply words.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.