In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(meat)lomo masculinebefore noun loin chop — chuleta de lomo / de vacío feminine
- The braised loin of lamb (it includes round Thai eggplants and a very un-Thai-like dollop of foie gras) was superior, however, and so were the short ribs.
- The report was they had been dining the night before on loin of veal while chatting about the plight of the common man in America.
- I had enough loin of Deeside venison to feed a small family, while the black pudding that accompanied it was marvellously smooth and rich.
- In addition to the varied menu, which offers particular chef's favourites, such as loin of pork in Stilton, special daily dishes are featured on a blackboard suspended from the ceiling.
- Saute them in olive oil (no more than two teaspoons) with garlic and onions, and serve with sweet meats such as pork loin or ham.
- Place a slice of rabbit loin on one side of the plate and a rabbit chop in the center.
- Distinctive dishes such as loin of pork cooked in milk, which reduces to provide a grainy sauce, appear in Italian and Spanish cooking.
- For dinner, roast loin of venison with a raspberry and port sauce followed by amaretto bavarois with summer fruits for desert is recommended.
- Jamie ordered fillet of beef wrapped in pancetta with port, shallot and foie gras ravioli, while I chose the loin of venison with fresh sage and honeyed Armagnac sweetbreads.
- A double top loin is simply two top loins tied together; ask the butcher to do this for you.
- The house-smoked loin of pork is prepared on a Li'l Chief smoker (the kind you see at football tailgate parties).
- The roast loin of venison also proved to be a hot contender.
- No rolled loin of lamb with grain mustard, crisp pancetta and girolle mushrooms for me, then.
- That got the thumbs-up, as did my loin of venison with endives and beetroot jus.
- If you serve a steak (or a loin of pork, or a nice cut of lamb) straight from the pan like this, by the time the plate reaches the table, the meat will usually be lying in a small puddle of its own juices.
- To start with I would order crayfish with garlic butter, followed by loin of venison.
- Among the hot dishes on their menu were seared loin of pork in honey and thyme, with Stilton and pistachio sausage.
- My guest seemed just as impressed with his loin of venison accompanied by truffled lentils, red cabbage and red wine jus.
- One butcher I spoke to said that you simply could not trim a loin of pork like a rack of lamb.
- We did just that a few weeks ago to see friends who served a perfect ‘Sunday lunch’ of pumpkin soup, roast loin of pork and cauliflower cheese, followed by a luscious orange syrup cake.
- Symptoms that indicate an upper urinary tract infection are a high temperature, pain in the loin, nausea, vomiting, and rigors.
- He suffered from pain in the loins, scanty urine, hematuria, and generalized edema.
- The feeling in his chest, and in his loins, returned.
- Only breast, rib cage and, less distinctly, loin and thigh are exposed.
- What is the diagnostic significance of microhaematuria in patients with pain in the loin or lower urinary tract symptoms?
- Does this young man wholly escape guilt of lust, simply because his gluttonous palate overbore his lustful loins?
- A punishment for misdemeanors was to be placed in cross irons, which were bars locked between the ankles from which chains went to a belt around the loins.
- His body responded to his mind, flooding his loins, yet again.
2literaryAnatomyentrañasson of my loins — hijo de mis entrañas literary
- to gird (up) one's loins — prepararse para la lucha
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.