In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1corazones solitarios(column/club) de corazones solitarios
- He targeted single mums with young children through chatlines and lonely heart adverts.
- Did you meet someone through our lonely hearts columns or has your business gone from strength to strength through advertising with us?
- Maybe I should place an ad in a lonely hearts column.
- Dear me, it was reading like an ad for a lonely hearts column!
- Linda Harris relates how, after the numbness of widowhood wore off, she found love again through the lonely hearts column of her local newspaper.
- I think a lot of people read lonely hearts columns with a great deal of interest.
- The 64-year-old mother-of-four was advertised in an internet lonely hearts room by her son because he thought his mother needed someone to talk to.
- Like lonely hearts ads and introduction agencies, cyberdating used to be thought of as a last resort, but that is no longer the case.
- Mort doesn't seem like the sort to attend lonely hearts meetings.
- There is not even a lonely hearts column in the local paper.
- They believe that the advent of online match-making, lonely heart adverts and singles' events are little more than a cynical ploy by the dating industry to get people to spend cash.
- Had Jefferies described himself in a lonely hearts column, the spiel would have been remarkably similar.
- This doesn't usually matter too much unless you're meeting them after replying to a lonely hearts ad.
- I thought for a minute I'd be looking to put an ad in the lonely hearts column, but it worked out OK.
- No matter the cultural era or technological advances, it seems that as long as there have been lonely hearts, there have been lonely hearts clubs.
- He has tried lonely hearts columns in local newspapers a few times.
- The couple met after Andy, 40, answered nurse Helen's lonely hearts advert for a ‘man in uniform’.
- Never reply to a local newspaper lonely heart ad.
- Caldwell, then living in Dover, Kent, met the mother of the three-year-old boy through a lonely hearts advert.
- None of the women he met through lonely hearts columns have recognised the necklace.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.