In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de larga distancia
- This was partly offset by an increase in the cost of large jet charters for long-haul flights.
- Once in my seat I started to behave like a passenger on a long-haul flight.
- The favourite long-haul destinations are Orlando, Barbados, Montego Bay, Dubai, New York and Washington.
- On a long-haul flight, flight attendants warm the food for passengers' convenience.
- It's a great way to pass time if you're ever stuck with nothing to do on a long-haul flight.
- Back in the airport, I'm far from impressed when I check in for my long-haul flight to Amsterdam.
- There was a sense of freedom, that feeling you get when you sit next to someone on a long-haul flight, knowing that you don't ever have to see them again.
- She said she had barely heard of the Digital Hub when a passenger on a long-haul flight from the US told her about it.
- The move comes in the week that British Airways announced it would be increasing fuel surcharges on its long-haul flights.
- Sources said the pilot took action not after just one incident but on the basis of the star's behaviour throughout the long-haul flight.
- Was it due to the short trip, for which we paid less than a long-haul flight?
- If it's a long-haul flight I might open the laptop and do a spot of work.
- He says the snacks and dishes have been selected after taking into account the needs of the long-haul flight.
- You may once have sat next to an accountant on a long-haul flight to Auckland.
- Only long-haul truckers and holiday makers use the tolled roads.
- The rise means that passengers on long-haul flights are now paying an extra £60.
- With the main hotel booking office badly located and poorly signposted, organising a room on the hoof after a long-haul flight could break you.
- He is also looking into the possibility of integrated tickets whereby you can buy a taxi ticket as part of a long-haul bus or train ticket.
- The long-haul flight, palm-fringed beach and the gentle surf create, after all, the one true image of the contemporary good life.
- Whether it's brushing your teeth or fastening your seatbelt ready for a long-haul flight, you trust in the scientific method.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.