In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1salto de longitud masculinesalto (en) largo masculine Latin America
- The PE coach announced it was time for the long jump and Sam jumped to her feet.
- At the same time she was also competing as a diver for her county, and trying her hand at high jump, long jump and discus throwing at a local athletics club.
- The first event was the long jump, her specialist discipline.
- Padraig Maye proved how versatile of an athlete he is by winning gold medals in the long jump and the high jump.
- In Division III no competitor met the qualifying standard in high jump or long jump.
- In the under-20 age group Claire and Katie Huck both competed in high jump and long jump.
- Jones, winner of three gold and two bronze medals in Sydney four years ago, is scheduled to compete only in the long jump.
- Macey then moved on to the long jump where his first and only legal jump of 7.59m earned him 957 points.
- Lewis did compete in the long jump this morning but she was lying 18th in the competition and decided to bring an end to her brave battle.
- He was very athletic and good at the high jump and long jump.
- Olympic heptathlon champion Denise Lewis competed in the long jump in her bid to rediscover form and fitness ahead of Paris.
- Eoin is a member of the Naas athletic club and the long jump is his specialist field.
- On the track you might see the 200m while at the end of the field you have the high jump event and to the side you have the long jump.
- He was also the Public Schools' athletic champion in the 100 yards, the hurdles, long jump and high jump.
- I set the University of Virginia school record in the long jump on my first jump.
- I'm not the fastest but I have always been good at technical events and started out in the long jump and high jump as well.
- Coomber has competed at amateur level in both the high jump and long jump but never the pole vault.
- One of the first requests is for music composed to match athletic events - like long jump!
- Cuba's Ivan Pedroso also won a fourth consecutive title and in the process produced the second longest indoor leap in the long jump.
- Eleanor O'Gorman and Pat Mulcahy won gold in long jump and high jump respectively.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.