In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine añoranzafeminine nostalgiamasculine vivo deseomasculine vehemente deseolonging for sth/sb
- she was overcome with longing for her own country — sintió una gran añoranza / nostalgia de su país
- he felt a great longing for her — la echaba muchísimo de menos
- there was a longing for a return to peace — había un vivo deseo de que volviera la paz
- This looking backward and preference for bygone days involved more than nostalgic or homesick longings.
- These are among the most powerful expressions of human dreams and hopes, ideals and longings.
- The longings and legitimate desires for approval, acceptance and understanding are cut off.
- It signifies the love and longings of the women who make it.
- Maybe it is about trying to satisfy a deep longing in the wrong ways.
- The seven surviving letters from the period detail these attempts and betray unfulfilled longing.
- Genesis 2 implies that God made humanity male and female to satisfy the human longing for companionship.
- Our longings go beyond the need for food, clothing and shelter.
- Suddenly Guinevere was overtaken by an intense longing for companionship.
- The longing for comfort, for deep intimacy, impels the divorced to rush back into a married state.
- I heard their despair and their longings to be freed to return to the life they once enjoyed.
- Her poetry is nostalgic and betrays her own longing for her beloved homeland.
- He had a gift for expressing the longings and anxieties of his contemporary audiences.
- I personally feel there is a deep longing for intimacy and friendship among the young.
- The longing for a proper home grows stronger and stronger with each passing day.
- Give yourself the breathing room necessary to feel your deepest longings and desires.
- They combine in her mind, and she feels intense longing.
- Their university days are always recalled with a nostalgic longing.
- She'd suffered the same longing for companionship.
- I particularly liked the way they felt free to express their feelings and longings through the anonymity of their letters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.