In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estibador masculinechangador masculine River Plate
- Talks between longshoremen and shipping lines had ended when the union rejected the latest contract proposal.
- Among the loudest critics are members of the port's powerful longshoremen's union.
- As a result, the jobs of 10 longshoremen who used to unload and tie up the unrefined sugar have already been eliminated.
- The work ethic and commitment from the longshoremen and port management is superb.
- Labour talks between longshoremen and shipping lines have failed after the union rejected the latest proposal in a dispute that has shut down West Coast ports at a cost of 2 billion dollars a day.
- Back in Montreal, he got a job as a longshoreman at the Old Port.
- Hundreds of dock workers clashed with police early Thursday morning in Charleston, South Carolina during a protest against the use of nonunion longshoremen to load a cargo ship.
- A week later, Port Au Prince longshoremen walked out in solidarity with the customs strike.
- It even footed the bill to fly, rather than ship, the extra Roombas from China when a longshoremen's strike closed West Coast ports.
- The lingering stereotype of a union member may still be the burly Teamster or longshoreman.
- Meanwhile, 200 ships up and down the West Coast, 10,000 longshoremen and about one million containers remain idled by this dispute.
- Today, the port successfully specializes in handling various noncontainerized commodities and is one of the few ports on the U.S. East Coast where new longshoremen have been hired in recent years.
- Seventy years ago, a young truck driver named Malcom McLean found himself sitting on a New Jersey dock all day, waiting for a gang of slow-moving longshoremen to get around to unloading his rig.
- The MPA submission included a considerable financial commitment by the state and concessions from longshoremen and other port users.
- They formed a union and hired themselves out to theatres much the way longshoremen are sent out to different ports.
- The trains will be met by more soldiers at dockside, who will work with longshoremen and contractors to put the tanks on a ship.
- A contract group of Italian longshoremen offloaded the ship over 2 days.
- On Thursday the strike continued as other dock workers supported the striking longshoremen and refused to load ships at the terminal's wharf.
- If the 10,000-strong longshoremen go on strike, ports from Seattle to San Diego could shut down, meaning a big jolt to the already floundering US economy.
- Does this scenario sound like the 2002 dockworker dispute at West Coast ports prompted by lockouts of longshoremen?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.