In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The display of lighting may not have been to the taste of some modern lookers-on, but it was certainly in keeping with the taste of the original medieval architects.
- But the aspect of his appearance on this particular morning that most interested the lookers-on was not the coat, but rather the glint of gold that caught the light on his breast.
- It appears to me, indeed, that, while an air of artificiality is lent to a tale of complex and sophisticated people which the novelist causes to be guessed at and interpreted by any mere looker-on, there need be no such drawback if the looker-on is sophisticated, and the people he interprets are simple.
- But, as local art students and lookers-on alike asked, did these free thinking experiments beyond the studio space constitute art?
- I asked an astute hockey observer about the player, whom even a casual looker-on like me recognizes as a skilled player, himself dogged by clutchers and grabbers.
- Although I furnished the 'hall' I could only be a 'looker on', at the happy function of 'dancing in' my new house!
- They operated so close to the lookers-on, we responded viscerally to their feats.
- The truly native products of whiskey and stout were also represented, drawing a faint cheer from the lookers-on.
- In A Really Good Brown Girl, the presence of lookers-on, scrutinizing, judging, labelling, is constant.
- Now, I would expect that these lookers-on pay their taxes on time, mow their lawns, put out the garbage, and obey the law.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.