In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(tool for pruning)podadera feminine
- Remember to make sure loppers, saws and secateurs are sharp before doing any winter pruning; untidy cuts made at this time of the year are ideal entry points for fungus, bacteria and other diseases.
- It really is time to get my loppers, secateurs and knives out to start attacking the mess now to avoid even messier oversights later in the year.
- My first task is to get out my loppers and attack the roses in the poppy field.
- If you have older plants with many thick stems at the base, you'll also need a small pruning saw or loppers, or both.
- And finally, I take my loppers and head for the roses and red-twigged dogwoods.
- Next, use the loppers or pruning saw to remove as many of the oldest canes as necessary at ground level.
- The first task for me will be cutting back roses and other shrubs, which calls for a great pair of loppers.
- On shrubs with many crowded shoots, use loppers or hand pruners to cut about a third of the oldest shoots back to the ground at the right time of year for pruning a particular shrub.
- I know how the prune-craze can grip you when you set to with the secateurs, let alone a pair of loppers and an axe.
- When cutting a branch, use clean, sharp hand pruners or loppers to make a smooth cut.
- Use long-handled loppers or a small pruning saw to cut larger stems and to reach into the center of dense shrubs.
- Palm fronds are notoriously difficult to feed through a mulching machine, but they do make excellent mulch if they are chopped up roughly by hand with loppers and spread under trees and shrubs.
- Use loppers or secateurs and cut back last year's growth to within just two buds from the main framework.
- Anvil pruners and loppers have a cutting blade that comes down on an anvil, cutting a stem as if it were laid on a chopping block.
- Volunteers are asked to wear suitable clothing and strong gloves and, if possible, bring their own long-handled loppers or bow saws.
- The victim grabbed a piece of firewood to fend off his attacker and one of the attacking group brandished a pair of garden loppers.
- The proper tool for this pruning cut is the hand pruners, long handled loppers, or a pruning saw for the larger branches.
- When your rose garden starts to mature there will come a time when loppers will be indispensable for cutting back old, thick canes that are too much for pruning shears.
- Sawing with hand secateurs on larger branches is unpleasant and ineffective and large parrot-beak or anvil loppers will be needed.
- We got out some loppers and pulled down the plump yellow fruits, collecting them in a big basket.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.