In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1His/Your Lordship — (su) Ilustrísima
- His Lordship added that it may be that these considerations would also justify a finding of negligence.
- Your Lordship's judgment has analysed in great detail exactly what the was, which in fact was not particularly clear when we came to draft the grounds of appeal.
- I gather there is no application for costs so would your Lordship please order a detailed assessment?
- We attempted to draw your Lordship to primary documents that presented a fair and objective picture.
- At 4.00 p.m. on Sunday there will be a public meeting at which His Lordship, Bishop Lee will speak.
- There is nothing, in our submission, that your Lordship can direct appropriately today.
- I will personally write to him with a copy of the judgment and indicate what your Lordship has told me this morning.
- Michel went on for fear that Jean would speak anyway, ‘I've interviewed His Lordship and heard quite the tale of betrayal and at times loyalty on his part.’
- Your Lordship, it is a high figure and I think I must make submissions about it.
- We are, of course, very concerned about that, as your Lordship will appreciate.
- All these matters were outside His Lordship's terms of reference.
- I am happy to be able to tell Your Lordship that an amicable agreement has been reached between the claimants and the defendant which achieves exactly that.
- What I am hoping for here, your Lordship, is that, if one bill is scrutinised, why not another?
- Would your Lordship order the claimant to pay the Secretary of State's costs?
- It is not appropriate for your Lordship to deal with that here and now.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.