In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1French peasant lore — las tradiciones rurales francesas
- according to traditional lore … — según la sabiduría popular …
- In the realm of sea lore, fact or fiction, stories of sea serpents have long held a special place.
- He considers attitudes to antiquity and to change in general terms, and looks at perceptions of old traditions and proverbial lore.
- Those innings are now part of the glorious baseball lore of New York and Florida.
- The rich fairy lore of Ireland is the subject of many oral legends.
- It has been the subject of lore and the object of cravings for centuries.
- It is largely secondary knowledge and includes much herbal lore as well as superstition.
- The folk healers' knowledge of natural resources and lore is an ancient cultural heritage.
- His four books, which ranged over local lore, geology and topography, became standard reading for lovers of the Lake District.
- They have had the kind of season that is so rare it will go down in the annals of baseball lore.
- I've always been fascinated by Japanese mermaid lore, which is very different from our mermaid stories.
- She spent mornings there, according to local lore, reviewing proofs of her work.
- We owe it to the younger generation to pass on the vast lore, knowledge and expertise and let them know the heritage of the county.
- Certain parts of the History section are outdated and may therefore conflict with other pieces of lore or stories.
- These leaders used the wisdom they found during this meeting to begin the tradition of Indian lore at camps.
- Body painting, traditional dance and spoken lore are all virtually impossible to safeguard.
- Romanians have a variety of traditions and lore dating back to antiquity.
- This lore was passed on by my mother who had spent many of her childhood holidays on the same beaches, as had her mother before.
- He has had a front-row seat for the biggest events in modern New York baseball lore.
- Collectors have documented children's lore for centuries, often to record what they considered a dying culture.
- He thought that traditional lore provided them with most of what they would ever need to know.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.