1(of possessions, jobs, faculties)pérdida feminineheat/energy loss — pérdida de calor/energía
- the ship sank with the loss of 21 lives — el naufragio se cobró 21 vidas
- the coup was carried out without loss of life — el golpe se llevó a cabo sin que hubiera que lamentar víctimas / sin derramamiento de sangre
- if she does leave, she'll be no great loss — no se pierde nada con que se vaya
- it's their loss not mine — son ellos los que salen perdiendo / los que se lo pierden
- they were filled with a keen sense of loss — sintieron un gran vacío
- Any job losses will be dealt with through collective bargaining and on a voluntary basis.
- In good years, profits from the second half more than cover losses from the first half.
- In later proceedings it was held that the applicant had not in fact suffered such losses.
- Critics lost no time in dissecting the losses these terms entailed for the city.
- They have admitted the financial crisis could mean more job losses and ward closures.
- Many firefighters at a local level will want to confront the cuts and job losses.
- It has a reserve built up from past profits that has so far coped with losses.
- The bank did not say how many job losses the branch closure programme would entail.
- Both had posted losses throughout the session, but stabilized near the close.
- Farmers hoped to send their animals to early slaughter to avoid financial losses.
- His own school is facing job losses as it is in the process of moving from two forms of entry to one.
- He fears that the morale of the county will be unable to cope with further job losses.
- I would like to transfer the business into a clean company that will not show heavy losses.
- Post Office chiefs insist drastic action is needed to stem huge financial losses.
- The reason for the possible job losses is possible barrack closures at the Garrison.
- If a company has no directors, customers cannot take action to recover their losses.
- She said there would have to be job losses, but no decision had yet been made from which areas of the trust.
- He is now under fire for the losses suffered and the subsequent hit to the company's dividend.
- Profit warnings announced earlier in the year are now feeding through into job losses.
- The closer you are to retirement the harder it will be to make up the losses.
2.1Business Financepérdida femininethe company made a huge loss — la compañía sufrió grandes pérdidas
- I made a loss of $100 on the deal — perdí 100 dólares en el negocio
- a tax loss — una pérdida desgravable
2.2(in insurance)pérdida feminine
3.1euphemistic (bereavement)pérdida feminine euphemisticthe loss of a dear one — la pérdida de un ser querido
- Nothing can replace this loss, and our grief is ever before us.
- The centre now offers a group program dealing with grief and loss as well as training for men wishing to be involved in community work.
- The reading as well as the writing of poetry can help people suffering from grief and loss.
- There would be an immense sense of grief and loss, thoughts of what might have been and cannot now be.
- We are all subject to the pain of loss, grief, sadness and even plain disappointment.
- You should be careful of people's deeply felt grief and sense of loss before you dismiss them as selfish cynics.
- Then who speaks for those whose grief, loss and suffering is not known to us?
- The process of conflict resolution requires the equal acknowledgement of the grief and loss of others.
- The large crowds at the funeral ceremonies reflected the sense of loss and grief felt throughout the neighbourhood.
- We have all experienced some psychological trauma, loss or grief.
- Several of her poems are marked by pain, a sense of loss and nostalgia.
- How are we to make sense of our shock and grief and loss in Phil's death?
- Doesn't this invalidate people that are feeling other things such as grief, sadness, loss, anger right now?
- Everyone feels a sense of loss and grief, only some feel it harder than others.
- Can you say something about your poems being so preoccupied with grief and loss, and the suffering brought to you by the suffering of another person?
- All parents who have lost children at any age or in any circumstances and who feel the pain of loss and grief are welcome to attend.
- She sniffed, and sighed from grief of her terrible loss of home and friends already.
- The pain of loss and grief of the relatives of those killed has been widely covered and is sometimes too painful to bare.
- She highlighted very eloquently the pain and loss of personal grief.
- What is it that makes us think we have the right to view other people's pain, loss and grief?