In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sala-bar femininesalón-bar masculine
- He was just about to argue with the man from the council, when he realised he was all alone in the lounge bar of the Crown and Anchor.
- However, the lounge bar was spoilt by the lack of a non-smoking area.
- And on Sunday there will be a series of six horse and two greyhound races, shown on a big screen in the lounge bar.
- Accommodation in the two-storey premises comprises a ground floor public bar and a large lounge bar.
- Fifteen minutes later he emerges into the lounge bar, showered and changed, the sheen of exertion cleansed from his thick frame.
- There is also a comfortable lounge bar and guest dining-room.
- The pub gets busy on Friday and Saturday night, so if there isn't much room downstairs, try the lounge bar above.
- The lounge bar has natural timber and stone finishes complementing the modern furniture and fittings.
- The lounge bar is a popular meeting spot for fashionable locals, and has a long list of wines by the glass.
- The bar is separated into a lounge bar and a club.
- Cookbooks line the lounge bar at the Inn - it's just a shame they didn't put them to better use in the kitchen
- The pub has a feature Victorian style shop front and comprises a lounge bar, upper floor restaurant and a fully fitted catering kitchen.
- You will find a fair mix of students in the lounge bar, which has been said to resemble a student common room.
- It includes a public bar, lounge bar, beer garden, a six-bedroom family residence together with forecourt parking and a feature ornamental garden.
- When the conservatory opens, the existing lounge bar will vanish.
- It can also sometimes be a bit difficult to attract the attention of the staff in the lounge bar.
- Walk in through one door and you are welcomed into the lounge bar of a typical country pub.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.