In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(chair, couch)sillón de jardín masculinetumbona feminine Spainreposera feminine River Plate
- These pool floats and pool loungers are durable and long lasting.
- He took a white-filtered cigarette from a packet which lay on a glass-littered table beside the sun lounger.
- There were also a lovely gilded desk, soft comfortable chairs and loungers that invited a person to grab a book and read for the whole day.
- The beach loungers are well spaced apart and you can walk straight into the sea.
- I walk back out to the garden and lay on the sun lounger beside Zoe and Girl.
- This ingenious garden allows sunbathers working on their tan to follow the sun through 360 degrees - without ever leaving the comfort of their sun lounger.
- The accommodation has an outdoor pool, sun terrace, sun loungers, poolside snack bar, gardens and a pool table.
- So I relax back in my lounger to indulge myself in the Caribbean sun as the barman fetches my cocktail.
- Rather than providing a portrait of one particular day by a pool, the composition reduces the subject to its essentials: a stand of flowers in a garden, a woman reclining on a lounger, and the water of the pool.
- Guy rests his head down on the sun lounger by the pool and closes his eyes, sighing as the warm rays of the sun soak into his body.
- The complex has an outdoor pool, sun terrace, sun loungers, poolside bar serving snacks, and a restaurant with both a traditional and international menu.
- Her taut, athletic stature moved fluidly across the pool deck toward the lounger.
- Women in various stages of undress reclined on loungers around the edge of the room and a beautifully ornate staircase dropped from its centre down to the spa facilities below.
- Our lounger features a deeply padded, machine washable, canvas seat that is supported by its steel frame.
- My ideal day off is one spent with a book, a bottle of water and a comfortable lounger somewhere in the sun.
- No doubt there will be palm trees and cocktail loungers around the swimming pool, just adding to that Hollywood effect.
- Roxanne gazed around the pool to see if there were any other free sun loungers.
- The designs are modern but simple and include curved benches, wooden loungers and tree seats that encircle a trunk.
- Toby was relaxing on a sun lounger reading Lord Of The Rings and talking to Tom.
- A window was broken and a few wooden sun loungers were tossed about.
2(person)haragán masculineharagana feminine
- I think, Watson, that the time has come for me to cease being an armchair lounger.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.