In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I'm sure that I'm sounding like either a pathetic lovelorn teenager or a sad bitter queen.
- Most letters come from lovelorn adolescents, but the club also boasts a professional counsellor, who deals with the more difficult problems.
- It was to help lovelorn farmers that, two years ago, Country Living magazine launched its free matchmaking service.
- There are two poor lovelorn souls here who don't fit in.
- For me the impact of these intensely personal songs, which would once have been crooned by a solitary lovelorn pin-up, gets laughably undermined when they are sung by what amounts to a choir.
- Forget dating agencies and lonely hearts ads, though - the lovelorn lass turned to Britain's new Freedom of Information Act to try to bag an arresting bachelor.
- Thus even as a lovelorn romantic, I was already a bit of a tart.
- The entire poem is an appeal by a lovelorn woman to a cloud, which she urges to take her message to her beloved.
- There's another great newspaper headline in there about how an electrical repair sparked romance for the lovelorn star.
- Claire Danes beguiles as a lovelorn young woman in Shopgirl.
- Jesus Corrales portrays the lovelorn Romeo with passion, sinking daggers into the heart of anybody in the audience with the slightest romantic sensibility.
- From what I remember of Crush, it was a show where lovelorn young men were assisted in tracking down some long lost ‘crush’.
- Her murals include a bewitching lovelorn village belle sitting near a pond with a lotus flower in her hand.
- John and his equally lovelorn buddy Oscar decide to cruise a local singles bar, where the more mature clientele are reputed to be easy pickings for a pair of young lads such as themselves.
- So is he ready for the swarms of American lovelorn ladies lusting for love, rushing to catch a glimpse of his good looks or snare him for good?
- Film roles include the part of the lovelorn Mark in Love Actually.
- And in the twilight of their youth, this bleakest enlightening is, for a pair lovelorn and wretched, their single and final solace.
- Her only friend in this heartless, Ivy League town is a lovelorn manicurist who has problems of her own, yet takes pity on the extraordinarily rich Bel-Air girl.
- The pair attracted their prey - lovelorn war widows - by placing personal ads in local newspapers in which Ray would describe himself as a sexy Latin lover.
- He was a lovelorn twit, always chasing after some impossible girl, with more need for than understanding of the female sex.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.