In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tierras bajas femininefeminine tierras calientes
- Both uplands and lowlands possess a variety of soils.
- It features everything from snow-capped mountains and river canyons to the lowlands of the Amazon basin.
- Alpine regions, lowland forests and wetlands all have characteristic species.
- The north-east of England is a land where uplands and lowlands meet, and are never far apart.
- The study area is a fragmented landscape of lowland tropical rainforest surrounded by roads, cultivated fields and pasturelands.
- Both in the uplands and the lowlands insects continued to represent an astonishing diversity of forms.
- Both tree species are common in primary and secondary forests, from uplands to lowlands.
- The topography of Kerala could be divided into highland, midland and lowland areas.
- They often move into wooded lowlands in winter, but there is no consistent migration.
- Rising sea levels for Tuvalu have created serious lowland flooding.
- Greystones Farm is a site of special scientific interest, with lowland wet meadow in which orchids flourish.
- Roughly made thonged sandals were worn only in lowland areas where the terrain was rocky.
- Compared with the surrounding terrain, Niamakoroni's lowlands are relatively lush.
- But up in the mountains there are not these extensive areas of lowland tundra where all the birds and the musk oxen can live.
- The refuges were mainly areas of lowland rainforest that survived when savanna became more widely distributed in colder and drier episodes.
- The Buddha was born in the Terai lowlands near the foothills of the Himalayas just inside the borders of modern-day Nepal.
- It primarily grazes and rests on highland or lowland desert, semidesert or steppe.
- To the west lie the Bordeaux lowlands and the Gironde Estuary, to the south the plains of Languedoc, and to the east the Rhône valley.
- It is believed that the hardest-hit areas will be on the mainland, especially the lowlands.
- In the summer, they breed on marshy, lowland tundra at the northern limits of the boreal forest.
2the Lowlands (of Scotland) — las Lowlands
1de las tierras bajasde tierra caliente
2Lowland(in Scotland)de las tierras bajasde las Lowlandsde los Lowlands
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.