In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1humildemodestohe had a lowly opinion of himself — se tenía en muy poco
- It was easy for Gabrielle to wish for a Cinderella life, for she was a lowly servant living a life of labor, obedience, and pain.
- Despite their relatively lowly beginnings, however, all have even greater power than their predecessors.
- Artists might live in a patron's household, as lowly servant or close companion.
- The lowly chow of the rural poor has gone highbrow.
- He had status, ultimate power and the chance to win the glory denied him on land by his lowly position in the rigid social hierarchy of 18th - century Britain.
- A tan face signifies the status of a lowly peasant who has worked in the fields all her life.
- And like any self-respecting vanguard, this one started under very lowly circumstances.
- Brelghtmet will be still be disappointed with their lowly position as a number of their defeats have been close and could have gone either way.
- We're lowly freshman, at the hands of the seniors.
- In the last of the quarter-finals Castleford belied their lowly position to defeat Scarborough.
- Johnny, too, believes the country community has been given a lowly status by politicians.
- I mean after all wasn't Jesus a humble lowly carpenter!
- He came to live among us, not in ‘Buckingham Palace with royalty’ but as a carpenter in a humble home in the lowly village of Nazareth.
- For a lowly freshman she sure had a lot of excess attitude.
- Certainly they rarely showed any sign of looking like champions after a good opening spell, as Kirkcaldy showed a fighting spirit which belied their lowly status.
- Ah well, at least I can get a concession ticket now, thanks to my lowly student status.
- From the lowly clerk, to the highly placed minister, everyone is corrupt.
- Resigned to his status as a lowly hospital attendant at the Whitestone Sanitarium, Jerome dreams of the day he can once again ply the Hippocratic oath.
- Crooks refused to put too much emphasis on the club's lowly league position after all the problems they have encountered this season.
- Despite its lowly status, mucus plays a valuable role in the body.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.