In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1suerte feminineyou never know your luck — a lo mejor tienes suerte
- knowing my luck ... — con la (mala) suerte que tengo ...
- good/bad luck — buena/mala suerte
- to wish sb (good) luck — desearle (buena) suerte a algn
- good luck! — ¡(buena) suerte!
- best of luck! — ¡mucha suerte!
- oh well, bad / hard luck! — ¡mala suerte!
- better luck next time — otra vez será
- it's bad luck to break a mirror — romper un espejo trae mala suerte
- to bring (good) luck/bad luck — traer (buena) suerte/mala suerte
- to have the good/bad luck to + inf — tener la (buena)/mala suerte de + inf
- it was a piece / stroke of luck finding you still here — fue una suerte encontrarte todavía aquí
- they had luck on their side this afternoon — esta tarde los acompañó / les sonrió la suerte
- if our luck holds — si nos sigue acompañando la suerte
- with any/a bit of luck — con un poco de suerte
- to be in/out of luck — estar/no estar de suerte
- two spoonfuls of sugar and one for luck — dos cucharadas de azúcar y una de ñapa
- some people have all the luck — los hay con suerte
- all the luck in the world won't get you out of this mess — de esta no te saca nadie
- still working there? — yes, worse luck — ¿todavía trabajas ahí? — sí, ¡qué le vamos a hacer!
- I tried everywhere to find that book, but no luck — busqué el libro por todos lados, pero no hubo forma
- did you get a taxi? — no such luck — ¿conseguiste un taxi? — ¡qué va!
- as luck would have it ... — quiso la suerte que
- it's the luck of the draw — es cuestión de suerte
- to be down on one's luck — estar de mala racha
- to have the luck of the devil / the devil's own luck — ser muy suertudo
- to push one's luck — desafiar a la suerte
- to try one's luck — probar suerte
- They have yet to concede a goal, but that has been because of luck rather than planning.
- By luck rather than judgement my fly fell perfectly behind the tree where the fish was lying.
- Like most successful entrepreneurs, Wallace was lucky, or rather he exploited his luck.
- He could hardly believe his luck, and used his Northern grit and determination to become a local and national hero.
- Most people stumbled into their careers because of luck, chance, connections or all three.
- If improvisation exploits accident, the accident itself is often the result of luck.
- Debates sometimes occur as to whether long term investment success is due to luck or skill.
- People believe that this will bring luck and prosperity to themselves and their family.
- It is believed that these purchases will bring luck and prosperity to the buyers.
- Our only annoyance is that the eggs come so fast that it's simply a matter of luck, rather than skill if you manage to duck to avoid one.
- They owe some of their success to straightforward luck, coming at the right time with the right music.
- We would say good luck Latoya, but from looks of it luck will have little to do with it!
- There has to be a standard, a level where the candidacy is based on merit rather than on luck.
- A railway worker, who did not want to be named, claimed it was only luck that prevented a major accident.
- Swindon police had better luck bringing their Al Capone to justice than their American counterparts.
- He attributes his success to hard work and dedication first, and luck is only secondary.
- If well-performed, the lion dance is believed to bring luck and happiness.
- I gave credit for that to chance, luck or anything that you might want to call it.
- Managers attribute an individual's successful performance to ability, effort and luck.
- I suppose it sounds feasible enough, although they haven't brought him much luck tonight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.