In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sign/watch) luminoso(eyes/sky) luminoso
- Set in a tightly wound labyrinth, this is where the film's insights about human endeavour are finally brought to light under a luminous moon.
- A cheap, luminous dial or illuminated watch with large numbers is quite handy.
- At the end one sees brilliant light or a luminous figure.
- The dimly-lit interior is done up with turntables and the odd futuristic light sculpture, while the bar has a luminous glow that offsets the dim and sexy darkness to the rest of the space.
- My computer screen leaves a luminous blue glow over the dark room.
- Overhead, the eternal sky glowed with its luminous clouds.
- In its interaction with light, it heats up in a luminous glow, giving it life and vibrant personality.
- The surface material reflected the light and they became luminous.
- The building was dark, the pews a deep red, and the stained glass windows luminous as the sun shined through them.
- But the image is luminous, like something radiant seen through the fog.
- The sea rolls before us, luminous waves break on the shore, and the moon shines down white from a dark sky.
- The moon was full, and gave off a luminous blue glow.
- Its luminous, yet soothing lights shined in the dark murky skies like a beacon of heaven.
- In the center of the field there glowed a luminous fairy circle, where a ring of small greenish gnomelike creatures danced and sang squeakily.
- Regulars are drawn to the minimalist style and trendy DJ music and we particularly liked the groovy light bulbs that give the bar counter a glorious luminous glow.
- Dozens of people have repeatedly reported the presence of these odd luminous objects.
- She reached out with her hand to touch the white, luminous object.
- Her eyes seemed almost to be glowing red from the luminous flames.
- In New York State luminous objects were seen hovering over 3 very significant locations.
- The luminous sun shone brightly over a small cottage in the middle of a long forest as it was setting down.
- That leaves 2.9% who actually know what luminous intensity means.
- Recent advances in technology have made production of luminous radiation that is perceived by the human eye as white light and that can replace conventional light sources.
- Geminga might be one of the best understood isolated neutron stars that we have found, but it has the same luminous flux as a candle on the Moon, which means that it will test these new telescopes to the limit.
- Our theory might predict that the most massive galaxies are the most luminous.
- First, a technical point, Lux is a measure of illuminance, or luminous fLux per unit area, and so the corresponding quantity would be irradiance, or Watts per square meter.
3literary(speech/speaker) lúcido(prose/style) claro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.