In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's a better idea for the wealthy to provide a safety net for the lumpenproletariat than to be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.
- The elite have the skills to make sure their problems are first on the consultant's list; the lumpenproletariat do not.
- They will never even dare raise the question of thuggery with us, as we work with the lumpenproletariat closely; in fact they are somewhat concerned for their own well-being.
- Remember, he's the voice of the lumpenproletariat, the great unwashed, the rough part of Los Angeles (assuming it has any smooth parts).
- The multigeneration denizens of public housing can readily be compared to Karl Marx's lumpenproletariat.
- Trotsky writes that Nietzsche's philosophy has a particular appeal to what he describes as a parasitic proletariat, a social layer arising within capitalism which is more privileged than the mere lumpenproletariat.
- The lumpenproletariat has always existed and I suspect that it always will in one form or another.
- The bloody woman can't tell the lumpenproletariat from the skilled working class.
- Since the end of the draft the US military has become a haven for confused and alienated individuals, many of whom were on the verge of being pushed into the lumpenproletariat.
- This is remarkable, since this was the time of the lumpenproletariat, that great urban mass of unskilled labourers who comprised about 40 per cent of the population of the new industrial cities.
- His treatment of Marxism is disgraceful, exhibiting little understanding, and he makes the scurrilous charge that Marxists are hostile to indigenous peoples because they are the modern day lumpenproletariat.
- This wallows in the dirt, squalor, drunkenness and mechanical, dehumanised sexuality of those who live on the margins of society, where the artistic petty bourgeois merges with the lumpenproletariat.
- Observing this, of course, there are among Muslim youth a tiny minority who reject this absorption into the white lumpenproletariat and turn militant or fundamentalist.
- History was moving ‘in a certain way’ and the class struggle would continue in the Third World with the lumpenproletariat of the colonized peoples taking up arms against the colonists.
- For some workers and lumpenproletariat, it is a revolt against greedy capitalists.
- When the rural peasants began to form a sizable lumpenproletariat in the city they were sent back home - the slum clearances in Algiers 1984.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.