- Well-to-do Victorians used to pay to tour lunatic asylums, deriving great amusement from the inmates.
- Partly this is because most audiences will be duped into thinking it's Vermont, where the story takes place, but also because the majority of the film takes place inside a lunatic asylum.
- Until the 1970s some governments consigned those people who came under their control to ‘quiet and chronic’ wards in lunatic asylums or hospitals for the insane, and forgot them.
- It opened as the County Lunatic Asylum in 1774, one of the first purpose-built lunatic asylums in the country.
- There are regular tours of the Castle, but the eighteenth century interiors have all been hideously restored with over-bright gilt and thick pile carpeting so that it all feels rather like an upmarket lunatic asylum.