In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1almuerzo masculinecomida feminine Mexico Spainto have lunch — almorzar
- let's go out for lunch — salgamos a comer
- we were at lunch — estábamos comiendo
- I'll buy you lunch — te invito a comer
- they serve cheap/good lunches here — aquí se come barato/bien
- The free buffet lunches were appreciated; the 45-minute talk on plagiarism was utterly extraneous.
- An excellent buffet lunch was prepared and served by the trainees in catering.
- They had just finished their lunch in the cafeteria.
- Try breaking out of routines like always eating lunch in the cafeteria at work.
- On Monday, he served just three lunches and three evening meals; on Tuesday, four lunches and no evening meals.
- We enjoyed a relaxing leisurely lunch before starting the afternoon session.
- Daily lunches and evening meals are arranged by various organizations and individual donators who make monetary donations that go towards food for the children.
- Price also includes breakfast, afternoon tea and a combination of four evening meals and two lunches.
- But meanwhile George's mother had cooked a delicious Sunday lunch.
- I started packing my own lunches and planning meals ahead of time.
- We had a full course buffet lunch at a poolside club restaurant and the food combination was very good.
- He finished his lunch with his friend, Luke, before proceeding to leave his tray at a counter.
- Meanwhile, Jimmy was in school eating lunch with his friends.
- We had a quick picnic lunch at one of the wooden tables and set off.
- We need to get our school lunch programs back in healthy order.
- As I ate my packed lunch, I wandered through the tiny cemetery butted against the church.
- We ordered our lunches and devoured the meal in silence.
- Next came a fully-fledged restaurant, open throughout the day and for lunches (though not evening meals), which was extended this year to double its original size.
- We were running a little late and I was famished, so we broke a rule and had a light lunch in the coffee shop.
- There is also a lunch menu, priced at £17 for three courses.
1almorzarcomer Mexico Spain
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.