In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1almuerzo masculinecomida feminine Mexico Spainto have lunch — almorzar
- let's go out for lunch — salgamos a almorzar
- we were at lunch — estábamos almorzando
- I'll buy you lunch — te invito a comer
- they serve cheap/good lunches here — aquí se come barato/bien
- to be out to lunch — estar en Babia
- We ordered our lunches and devoured the meal in silence.
- He finished his lunch with his friend, Luke, before proceeding to leave his tray at a counter.
- As I ate my packed lunch, I wandered through the tiny cemetery butted against the church.
- Price also includes breakfast, afternoon tea and a combination of four evening meals and two lunches.
- Daily lunches and evening meals are arranged by various organizations and individual donators who make monetary donations that go towards food for the children.
- Try breaking out of routines like always eating lunch in the cafeteria at work.
- There is also a lunch menu, priced at £17 for three courses.
- We were running a little late and I was famished, so we broke a rule and had a light lunch in the coffee shop.
- On Monday, he served just three lunches and three evening meals; on Tuesday, four lunches and no evening meals.
- Next came a fully-fledged restaurant, open throughout the day and for lunches (though not evening meals), which was extended this year to double its original size.
- But meanwhile George's mother had cooked a delicious Sunday lunch.
- An excellent buffet lunch was prepared and served by the trainees in catering.
- They had just finished their lunch in the cafeteria.
- We had a full course buffet lunch at a poolside club restaurant and the food combination was very good.
- We had a quick picnic lunch at one of the wooden tables and set off.
- The free buffet lunches were appreciated; the 45-minute talk on plagiarism was utterly extraneous.
- We need to get our school lunch programs back in healthy order.
- I started packing my own lunches and planning meals ahead of time.
- We enjoyed a relaxing leisurely lunch before starting the afternoon session.
- Meanwhile, Jimmy was in school eating lunch with his friends.
1formalalmorzarcomer Mexico Spain
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.