In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Instrumental support, which mostly doubles the vocal lines, is provided by bamboo flutes, two-stringed viols, lutes, dulcimer, and panpipes, gently seasoned by percussive punctuation.
- The shamisen is a lute instrument with three strings.
- He uses the lute or deeper sounding theorbo in a continuo role on other tracks.
- The theorbo, lute, and guitar are particularly prominent.
- Another traditional Czech instrument played in the United States is the tamburash, a stringed instrument similar to the lute.
- She focused intently at it and as she watched, Doremi could see the figure inside begin to move and pluck a melody on the strings of the lute.
- A soothing song, played on lutes and other stringed instruments, was carried into his ears as he closed his eyes.
- Did such instruments as the lute, viol, or violoncello piccolo play a role as continuo instruments?
- The sweating made him more afraid of playing badly, as he worried that his fingers would slip on the frets of the lute.
- He is the focus of attention; the lute is his instrument.
- His arrows were at his side and a lute was strung over his back with its bent neck protruding over his shoulder.
- Three of the most popular instruments are the two-string violin, the lute, and the pipa.
- Many of the riffs are righteously medieval in tone, but they rework those tripping arpeggios for a scorched-earth rock setting, without a lute, zither or lyre within earshot.
- It was then that I heard an eerie melody upon the air, from a lute, or other stringed instrument.
- One of the strings on the lute is broken, a deliberate symbol of discord.
- ‘The lute has a broken string, there's a flute missing, and some of the instruments aren't set up correctly’.
- We had to learn how to dance and how to bow, to play the lute, guitar and harpsichord, to converse with two or three companions on a set subject.
- The result is a programme of genuine old fashioned carols, songs and dances, performed on shawms, sackbut, recorders, flutes, curtals, lutes, guitars, harp, bagpipes and the hurdy-gurdy.
- The primary instruments are drums but lutes, woodwinds, and thumb pianos are also used.
- Bahavis' fingers idly plucked the lute while he spoke.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.