In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Doctors suggest drivers avoid eating certain kinds of fruits, such as bananas and litchis, because these fruits can result in inattentiveness, sleepiness and fatigue, which increase the risk of traffic accidents.
- On the nose, there is surprisingly little fruit, just a damp earthiness, and yet on the palate there is a burst of exotic fruit such as lychees.
- So if you crave something sweet, try its opulent fruit salad loaded with kiwi, mango, pineapple, grapes and strawberries or tinned lychees (the only fruit that is arguably as good tinned as fresh).
- It's rich with exotic spices and flavours of lychees and passion fruit.
- I picked up some fruits on my way home, so I now have at my disposal apricots, peaches, nectarines, lychee fruit, a mango, and assorted berries.
- ‘In the past few weeks we have transported many boxes of lychees from central and southern Taiwan to the north,’ Chang said, as he unloaded two cartons of the seasonal fruit from the refrigerator installed in the van.
- To follow, I would make the most of those papaya, lychees and passion fruit that are looking so good this month.
- We walked for about twenty minutes until the sweet aroma of lychees filled the air.
- The fruit flavours range from common fruits like banana, strawberry and peach, to more exotic fruits like lychee, guava, rambutan and jackfruit.
- This one has the classic lychee and rose-petal aromas but is comparatively light and refreshing on the palate.
- When it comes to bok choy, napa cabbage, mungbean sprouts, snow peas, litchis and kumquats, you no longer have to make a trip to Chinatown.
- Growers of stone fruit, bananas and lychees suffer most.
- It was elegantly garnished with Japanese pomegranates (no seeds) and thin slices of rombutan - a fruit similar to a lychee.
- A good ripe crop from the Gisborne vintage this year produced some aromatic fruit flavours, with hints of Turkish Delight and lychee fruit.
- Based only on my experiences at The City Bakery, lychees are my favorite fruit - and they're not even a fruit!
- The price of litchis, a luscious fruit considered a notch above such as apples and citruses, has been slashed as a result of a bumper crop in South China, making it affordable to ordinary people.
- The city features six fruits - lemon, lychee, banana, longan, pomelo and pineapple - and three flowers - narcissus, camellia and orchid.
- All I remember being fed there is lychees and monkey-bananas, and cool slices of pawpaw.
- To my mother's relief, I began welcoming her curries with more enthusiasm, and seemed content with lychees or mangoes or even the lowly sapote for dessert.
- The flesh has the consistency of lychees, and the stone is similar to that of a lychee, but the taste is a cross between a mango, a banana and a lychee.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.