In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1entrada techada al camposanto contiguo a una iglesia
- The church itself is usually surrounded by its graveyard, in which might be found a lychgate, cross, anchorage, bell tower, school, and a priest's house.
- Coun Liddington has been raising money for a new war memorial at the lychgate at Sherston church for villagers who died in the Second World War and in Northern Ireland.
- Externally the building is approached through a lychgate, which enhances the feeling of seclusion, and a beautifully simple porch.
- One monument that has already benefited is the lychgate at All Saints Church, Crudwell.
- The most notable of these is the 14th century St Georges Church with its 13 th century lychgate - the oldest in England.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.