In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Most conventional whitening toothpastes use sodium or potassium hydroxides, also known as lye, which is considered a poison by the Food and Drug Administration.
- When you mix ten parts oil with one part of methanol and a pinch of lye (the catalyst), the mixture settles out into about ten parts biodiesel and one part glycerine.
- Because soap is made primarily from a caustic blend of boiled animal fat, lye and soda, it is highly alkaline.
- If more alkalinity was needed, then borax, sodium metaborate, sodium carbonate, or even lye were used.
- It's important to avoid conventional oven cleaners; they contain lye and ammonia, which can damage your respiratory tract if inhaled.
- One member created an alternative cement for the concrete floor of our sauna, using fly ash (from coal burning plants, not waste dumps!), citric acid, lye, and borax.
- The catalyst is usually a base, either lye (which is NaOH) or potassium hydroxide.
- For example, sodium oxide dissolved in water yields sodium hydroxide, or lye.
- From the age of 15 or so, I would have my hair straightened with such hair-loving products as lye and perm solution.
- One of the most popular dishes is lutefisk, stockfish softened in a solution of lye.
- Make soap using lye (from hardwood ash) and animal fat.
- Other household items carried by the stores on wheels included washing powder, liniments, salve, and lye used for making soap.
- Technically detergents are called ‘Synthetic Detergents’ as they are not made from fats and lye from which soap is made.
- Chemistry fans take note: lye is also called caustic soda and sodium hydroxide, but most people just call it lye.
- I told him about the time that Mother almost burned herself with lye from the soap we were making.
- One involves a chemical reaction: Mix the oil with methanol and lye, and you get a stable, vegetable-based fuel called biodiesel.
- To make the Biodiesel, we heated the oil, then mixed in a measured solution of methanol and lye.
- I set to work scrubbing on my green hair with the strongest lye soap, hoping for positive results.
- In oven cleaners, lye and sodium hydroxide can burn skin, eyes, and the respiratory tract.
- Sodium hydroxide, NaOH, also known as lye and caustic soda, is one of the most important of all industrial chemicals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.