In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Hunting-tourism has become big business in Romania's Carpathian Mountains, the last place in Europe apart from Russia, where many large carnivores, bears, wolves and lynxes, can be found.
- The British Big Cats Society says its 15-month survey indicates there is little doubt that big cats such as leopards, lynxes and pumas are roaming Britain.
- Other key threats to the lynx are changing habitat, unselective trapping methods (many lynxes are killed by snares), road accidents and hunting (including deliberate and accidental shooting).
- We're cautious but hopeful that if we can get all the lynxes we need, we'll be able to add to the population in the wild.
- We can also make an evolutionary prediction: I expect that lions, leopards, and lynxes will also have the same 247 base pair deletion, and a similar array of stop codons.
- His action exemplifies what the late Stephen Jay Gould, on his essay on the lynxes, aptly called ‘the authoritarian form of the empiricist myth’.
- The entire preserve sits inside the Kootenai National Forest and is populated by wildlife, including bears and trout as well as wolverines, lynxes, and mountain goats.
- A millionaire businessman has bought a 23,000-acre estate in the Highlands in a bid to reintroduce the wolf, the brown bear and the lynx to the wild.
- Jewell and Alibhai have begun using WildTrack to census tapirs in Argentina, Bengal tigers in India and Bangladesh, and Iberian lynxes in Spain and Portugal.
- The Canada lynx, the only lynx in North America, is a rare forest-dwelling cat of northern latitudes.
- They can be kittens one moment and pumas or lynxes the next.
- There have been four recent reports of an animal - variously described as a lynx, puma or panther - in Dumfriesshire.
- There are elves and centaurs and unicorns and mermaids and flying lynxes and all shapes of mythical things.
- Other predators are red foxes, coyotes, wolves, bear, mountain lions, lynx, bobcats, eagles, and great horned owls.
- This year leaflets about the habits of bears, wolves and lynxes were given to all the schools in mountain villages.
- This year we have scheduled a tiger, three lynxes, a cheetah, two pumas, a hippopotamus, and 500 rabid rats.
- Given the small size of the prey hunted by modern lynxes, it is not likely that this extinct species was a predator of large mammals.
- Most of the zoo's remaining animals, including their lynxes, reptiles and baboons, are being moved to specialist facilities elsewhere.
- In the Adirondack mountains of New York, an attempt to reintroduce lynxes failed, with 18 of 37 mortalities attributed to road kills.
- Experts say there is ‘little doubt’ that big cats such as panthers, lynxes and pumas are indeed roaming the countryside, following a massive increase in sightings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.