In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This effectively ended all lunchtime reminiscences of macaroni and cheese.
- They are eating either macaroni and cheese or hamburgers and French fries, but they eat a lot of junk food and do not get adequate amounts of phosphorus.
- He stood in line and got some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, coleslaw macaroni, baked beans, and a roll.
- Good macaroni cheese needs pasta with big holes, such as traditional long macaroni or, failing that, rigatoni, that the creamy luscious sauce can seep into.
- A French table is likely to have on it a cauldron of vegetable soup, complete with carrots and chard and tiny pasta shapes such as macaroni.
- Mom had really gone all out: chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, macaroni and cheese, salad, and bread.
- Starch-based entrées such as macaroni and cheese and burritos are often the worst offenders, since by their nature they contain no vegetables at all.
- The pastas include lasagne, spaghetti, tagliatelle, macaroni, tortellini and capellini, so you're not going to get much more Italian than that!
- Drain the pasta or macaroni, then return it to the saucepan.
- I still carry around a hankering for bread and dripping, steamed pudding, and sweet macaroni, but I know they will do me no good, so I avoid them.
- Combine cheese sauce with cooked macaroni; stirring over medium heat.
- If there's any food left over from supper, then I might fry that up - bits of macaroni or potato.
- For two people, you need about 6oz of macaroni (or you can use any similar-sized pasta).
- You can also use soy-based mayonnaise and light vinaigrette dressings in potato and macaroni salads and coleslaw.
- Sometimes for days or weeks in a row they serve the same food, like macaroni, corn dogs, small burgers, and cheese pizza.
- There's artichoke asparagus ravioli, linguini bolognese, macaroni and cheese, and asparagus risotto.
- This means that it must have been dry pasta, professionally made, indicating in turn that macaroni was well established as a food.
- The current issue has recipes for monkey bread, macaroni and cheese and pulled pork, and several that use Jell-O.
- How did meat loaf and macaroni and cheese and green beans get to be Southern?
- I helped him with dinner: hamburger patties, macaroni and cheese.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.