In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
Military Art History
- There were at least eight guards there, holding weapons from maces to swords to lances.
- These weapons, such as clubs, maces, axes, and hammers, are as old as warfare and are certainly the oldest form of weapon wielded by man and his ancestors.
- They also carried broad swords and maces to use when an enemy got in too close.
- He and his troops were well-equipped with glaives, maces, battle axes, and long bows.
- Bullets were scarce, however, so the guns quickly gave way to pikes, swords, kendo sticks, maces, and dirks.
1macis femininemacia feminine
- They wanted to trade: the market at home was eager (at one time or another) for spices - pepper, nutmeg, mace and cloves.
- Before La Varenne, court cuisine had over-emphasized the use of sugar and such sweet spices as cloves, mace, cardamom or nutmeg.
- A spice that increases the body's temperature, like cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace, is a warm spice.
- To prepare, pour 250 ml white wine vinegar into a pan, add ½ small shallot, sliced, a blade of mace and ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns.
- Other spices are produced for local consumption and export, including mace, cinnamon, and cloves.
- The principal exports are nutmeg, bananas, cocoa, and mace.
- The finer spices consist of cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace, which shared the fact that the places where they were grown were rather select, hence, the limited supply.
- They too were trying to get to the East Indies, where nutmeg, mace, pepper and cloves could be bought.
- Place the pumpkin, ice cream, milk and cinnamon, nutmeg and mace into a blender.
- It was also the only time of year, we would use some of the really wacky spices in our spice drawer, like mace, and allspice and poultry seasoning.
- When cooked, remove the skin and place the fish in a pie dish in layers with the sliced eggs, knobs of butter, pepper and mace.
- Chillies, turmeric, ginger, mace, saffron, nutmeg, poppy seeds, garlic, cloves, bay leaves, and curry leaves are among the most commonly used spices.
- In a wide shallow pan, melt the butter and then add the mace and cayenne pepper.
- Spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, mace and nutmeg are ideal for winter soups and paprika helps provide a rich colour, says Bridget Jones.
- This was for fried fish spiced with all-spice, cloves, turmeric, black pepper, garlic and the other spice that comes with nutmeg, mace.
- I was supposed to sprinkle the top with clove and mace but I was out of mace so I used nutmeg instead.
- Cloves, mace and nutmeg are all used as flavouring agents in cooking.
- Among the spices specified are ginger, nutmeg, mace, cloves, and saffron; caraway seeds seem always to have been included.
- Mince it, not too finely with fat pork and bacon bits, season it with juniper, thyme and mace then bake the pate slowly, covered with foil, in a roasting tin half filled with water.
- Mix together an ounce of each of the following ingredients: mace, nutmeg, cloves, caraway seeds and cinnamon.
1(tear gas)gas para defensa personal
- You can't pull your gun, no Mace - why don't we just arm-wrestle to see if you go to jail?
- To reassure herself, she touched the handful of explosive caplets of Mace in one coat pocket and checked that she had all five mini-DVDs in her other pocket next to her recorder.
- But it would be just my luck if the girl of my dreams took a dislike to me, had a big can of Mace and an itchy trigger finger.
- [But] why put deadbolt locks on your doors and stock up on cans of Mace and then decide to leave your windows open?
- Squall remembered that she had used Mace on Scalpel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.