In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(male chauvinist)(attitude/behavior) machista
- You always hear the stories of people that say, I'm macho and tough enough, I'm going to ride this thing out.
- The film also does an amiable job of revealing the ‘soul surfer’ culture behind these wave daredevils - even the overly macho dialogue seems natural in this context.
- I seem to remember a lot of guys with cheap macho posturing about killing them all and letting God sort them out, and so forth.
- I can say so many tough and macho things but when I actually settle down there, it's an entirely different story.
- There were effeminate guys who were looking for more macho guys.
- I glanced at the security men, rent-a cops by their overly macho manner and cheap badges, and faced Paul.
- But underneath that tough, macho veneer lies a tanned and buffed pretty boy with the vocabulary of a 12-year-old.
- The Dodge is the closest to the Titan in terms of macho styling and tough attitude.
- Eddie has a lot in common with Wolverine - he's all tough macho bravado on the outside, but inside he's a wounded human being looking for acceptance.
- Like a typical macho guy, he views his exile in Gayville not as a sign he might have some thinking to do, but as an educational experience that's made him a better lover to women.
- Because they pretend, I think, to be macho guys, but you see what sentimentalists they really are.
- He behaved differently around other men in general and found himself slipping into a much more aggressive and macho posture in everyday life.
- In the tough, macho arena of rock climbing, one woman has beaten the boys at their own game.
- I would like to find a guy who can handle that, but am also not looking for an overly macho type.
- People (who I'm guessing are macho guys) are revving their cars up & down the streets outside.
- I'm not one of those macho guys who think men can't cry.
- It looks sporty, but with an unusually rigid, tough, macho appearance.
- Thus although young black men form rival gangs which have to be fought, their tough macho masculinity wins them respect from their white counterparts.
- ‘The Studs start off as macho guys who don't give a damn, but when they find they might lose their girlfriends, they realise they care more than they thought,’ Steel says.
2(virile)(image) de machoshe likes macho men — le gustan los hombres machotes informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.