In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Vitamin D is found in egg yolk, butter and oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, herring and sardine.
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- Canned salmon, sardines, mackerel, trout and pilchards count as oily fish, as they do when fresh.
- The children at Eton rather despised the sort of common fish we were given: cod, herring, mackerel.
- The only species of fish that would be ineligible were sea trout, mackerel, launce and herring.
- Together with some mates we all go out fishing off the coast of Hove where we catch sea bass and mackerel.
- Fish is most beneficial for the body when it comes in an oily form such as mackerel, trout or salmon.
- Rinse and dry the mackerel and lay them skin-side down in a lightly oiled dish.
- To serve, spoon some vegetables and broth into a soup bowl and set a mackerel fillet on top.
- I remember catching my first mackerel on a family holiday at Scarborough.
- High mackerel, herring, mussel and razorfish are all good, but the best by far is a dried black lugworm.
- Smoked mackerel smelled and tasted like smoked fish, and I found it pretty good.
- Most scombrids (tunas, mackerels, and bonitos) are important food, commercial, and sport fishes.
- Other fish you might connect with are mackerel, pollock and coalfish.
- I have seen him stuff his gob with lumps of spiky chorizo and smokey pieces of grilled mackerel.
- Brush with a little olive oil and then cook the mackerel for 6-8 minutes on each side.
- All I could remember was heady days hauling in saithe, sea bass and mackerel by the barrowload.
- Oily varieties to go for include salmon, trout, mackerel, herring and sardine.
- The shape of these ichthyosaurs is like that of living tunas and mackerels, which are the fastest fish in the ocean; like them, the later ichthyosaurs were built for speed.
- These are fantastic with roast lamb, chicken and game dishes, even sea bass and mackerel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.