In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1encefalopatía espongiforme bovina feminine
- No one knew in advance that feeding livestock rendered meat and bone meal would cause an epidemic of mad cow disease, but it did.
- BSE, or mad cow disease, arose after cows were fed the remains of animal tissue.
- Government vets are investigating a case of mad cow disease in an animal born after the implementation of strict control measures to curb the disease.
- Some 4,000 cattle in two herds remain in quarantine because of the concerns about mad cow disease.
- They have said they can't rule out the possibility that mad cow disease can be transmitted from mother to calf.
- To the best of our knowledge, there have been no documented cases of mad cow disease on organic farms in Europe with closed herds.
- A farming couple have won the right to appeal against a ban stopping them moving their cattle for slaughter amid fears of mad cow disease.
- It is not difficult to see that beef reminds you of mad cow disease and chicken reminds you of poultry flu.
- And researchers are now drawing a bead on prions, the rogue proteins thought to cause mad cow disease.
- Food scares such as mad cow disease and E. coli contaminations have driven others to choose organics.
- Like mad cow disease, chronic wasting disease is believed to produce abnormal proteins that gradually destroy brain tissues.
- Since mad cow disease came along, we have turned on to eating chicken.
- Hong Kong chicken flu and BSE, or mad cow disease, pose clear health risks to humans.
- The report is one of the few pieces of good news for farmers after years of drought and a financial crisis prompted by a case of mad cow disease earlier this year.
- The type of protein that causes mad cow disease can't be removed or destroyed when beef is processed or cooked.
- As infections go, mad cow disease and foot-and-mouth disease don't have much in common.
- The arrival of mad cow disease to this country is heightening concerns.
- Initial screening called rapid tests indicated the potential for mad cow disease in the three cows.
- I'd rather have a burger and fries but I can give that up for 2 months if it means I won't get that mad cow disease.
- There is no test for mad cow disease that can be conducted on live animals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.