In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Mafia femininebefore noun a Mafia boss — un capo de la Mafia
- Women in the Mafia have been documented as a rising trend in Italy's criminal underworld.
- He and several Sicilian businessmen are charged with running legitimate companies as fronts for the Mafia.
- Where Mafia and drug barons rule, investigators of any kind become targets.
- Under Italian criminal law it is a criminal offence to be a member of the Mafia.
- In fact, he has stood trial from 1993 on charges of corruption and membership of the Mafia.
- The goal of the police campaign is to drive the Mafia out of the city and take Chicago back.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.