In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I've been writing this article all week for the glossy mag about inspirational Western Australians.
- Magazines, the new store on Church Street, offers foreign mags and back issues at unbelievable prices
- The good people at Chart were handing out complimentary copies of the mag and I thought that this was all pretty cool.
- London audiences are notoriously bad at reacting well to anything that hasn't been pre-certified as ‘cool’ by the style mags and weekly newspapers.
- I read every skate mag, front to back.
- A print campaign will appear in Sports Illustrated, buff books and trade mags.
- Read a few gossip mags and call your astrologer in the morning.
- Most of my life has been documented in one gossip mag or another, Lisa.
- Adults have celebrity mags and glossies, but kids don't care about big names.
- The final date for submissions for the special hardback last issue of the mag was Sunday 10 July.
- Last month was a great meeting with a dozen enthusiasts, including an ex-Isle of Man bike racer and a lovely old chap from Australia who gave me some 20 year old car mags from Down-under.
- Not only did they give away free copies of their mag, they also gave away three month subscriptions as well.
- I started my journalistic career on student mags, initially on Imperial College, London's Felix and later on Queen Mary College's Cub after I switched both college and degree.
- By day, Prato acts as a café with the requisite papers and mags laid out on the back of a high, leather banquette.
- A quick flick through the big monthly computer mags reveals a few ads from dealers still pushing the software.
- Do you remember the days when you would open a glossy mag and fall in love with a to-die-for dress, some sensational shoes and a must-have handbag only to find out they wouldn't be coming to a high street near you?
- The monthly mag will start its life in electronic form, but who knows what the future may bring?
- The glossy mags are bought and paid for - and, in some cases, owned by the media conglomerates who own the record companies of the ‘artists’ they are trying to sell to you.
- Today was the deadline for the first news stand issue of the mag.
- Today was a long and busy day, but with a great sense of satisfaction at the end as I signed off the last page of the next issue of the mag and it was sent to the printer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.