In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He wanted to know what we did to keep root maggots out of radishes.
- Within days fly maggots are born and release an enzyme that decapitates their ant host.
- These greenish larvae are typical fly maggots in appearance; legless, broadest at the tail end and tapering to a point at the head, with hook-like mouthparts.
- Because fruit and vegetable waste goes in the brown bin and sits there for up to two weeks, maggots and fruit flies end up in it.
- Although the risk of injury from seedling insects such as wireworms and seed corn maggots is reduced with a later planting, there is no post-emergence treatment for these insects.
- This insect is the maggot of the eggs laid by sawflies or carpenter bees in the freshly-cut cane of the rose after pruning.
- This year flea beetles, white grubs, seed corn maggots and wireworms generated a lot of discussion.
- It appears that these seed applied insecticides and liquid insecticides will be effective in protecting seeds from seed feeding insects such as wireworms and seedcorn maggots.
- Fruit flies, such as the apple maggot and the cherry fruit flies, are also common orchard pests.
- Even if most people don't care to eat black radish, cabbage maggots sure love it and without a row cover a marketable crop can be almost impossible to achieve.
- White root maggot may attack a portion of your crop.
- Centuries after the technique was pioneered, maggots are being used at Harrogate District Hospital in larvae therapy, to remove unhealthy tissue from wounds.
- There are ways to deal with coddling moths and apple maggots.
- The Lonicera fly evolved as a hybrid of two existing U.S. species, the blueberry maggot and the snowberry maggot, according to the study.
- Rat-tailed maggots are the larvae of the drone fly and, in order to pupate the larvae, look for a dry place and start migrating.
- Root maggots in the roots of cabbage may retard the growth of the plant or it may wilt and even die.
- There are three problems when growing garlic: drainage, gophers, and onion root maggots.
- One University of North Texas graduate student is using black fly maggots to compost that garbage.
- The changes that occur at metamorphosis can be rapid and dramatic, the classic examples being the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into an adult butterfly, a maggot into a fly, and a tadpole into a frog.
- Flea beetles and root maggots, the two major radish pests, can be avoided by placing floating row cover over the bed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.