- He and the crew have had to subsist on maggoty hardtack, cold gruel, and a slimy block of cheese that has become host to a most foul-tasting clutch of worms.
- I wash the dirt carefully off their stems, slice away any maggoty flesh, and cook them in garlic and cream.
- The mushroom man, for instance - who also sold dates, walnuts and the best olives I've ever eaten - treated me better after an epic row over maggoty porcini which secured the refund I was after and also attracted a small approving crowd.
- In the hold of the Dunera they had drawn drawings, held lectures in philosophy, formed a debating society, fashioned chess sets out of maggoty bread-dough.
- The investigation began with the discovery of a deer carcass, decaying and maggoty, that had been dumped at the school's front door.
- He was hungry, but he'd rather starve to death than eat the maggoty meat and rice the guards tossed in once a day.
- A west Wiltshire informant tells me that as a child he was cautioned against picking maggoty blackberries, ‘because the fairies had weed on them.’
- The poor contestants had to eat maggoty, old cheese to advance.
- I thought perhaps of food, the maggoty noodles, and then I thought no, of some great feast, baskets and platters and cornucopias.