In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Shamans are, in a sense, religious magicians, who have power over fire and who are capable of achieving trance states in seances in which their souls vacate their bodies to go on curing missions to the spirit worlds above or below the earth.
- Some magicians have attributed their feats not to magic but to supernatural or paranormal powers, e.g., Sai Baba and Uri Geller.
- You may have heard radionic energy called by another name, manna - and it is the one secret accomplished magicians and sorcerers absolutely refuse to tell anyone.
- As they travel towards Zaragoza, Don Quijote remains in a dark mood thinking about this latest trick that the wicked magicians had played on him - the transformation of Dulcinea.
- Early tales of apprenticeships to magicians and sorcerers intrigued me.
- And we shall not tell them - for they would be jealous of it, because they will never know the power that makes us magicians and sages.
- It's a testament to the power of this one magician that so much energy is spent refuting him.
- The evil magician slapped at the air as a malicious grin swept across his childish face.
- Prophecy and clairvoyance are so widely believed by millions of people that magicians are credited with psychic powers that not even Nostradamus would dare claim.
- Elves are sometimes depicted as helpers of magicians, e.g., Santa's helpers.
- Slowly the other sorceresses and magicians had reclaimed some of the colors, but they were rare and hard to conjure.
- This magician gained his magic power by absorbing or copying it from his enemies.
- One performance that always draws a crowd is sinten, in which magicians exhibit their powers.
- Knowing the names of these beings gave the magician power to act against them.
- Self-confidence and power define the magician, doubt and uncertainty are banished.
- I soon found that the temple had been left by an ancient race of magicians who had mastered all forms of magic.
- He found two knights charging at Mandeera, but they too, suffered from the magician's tricks.
- In Jung's own experience such archetypal figures as the magician, shaman, witch-doctor, and wise old man were commonly projected.
- At the first stroke of the bell it was as if a magician's wand had smitten the dancers.
- The tail was more or less an additional limb the five evil magicians had given him upon his creation.
2(conjurer)mago masculinemaga feminineprestidigitador masculineprestidigitadora feminine
- After just a few episodes of that show he was being hailed as the next magician and illusionist to enjoy mainstream stardom in America.
- He's full of fascinating anecdotes about long since dead magicians and their tricks, many of which appear in his book.
- No major magician claims to be performing anything other than illusions.
- You should know that a magician never reveals his tricks!
- Card-guessing tricks give a magician the opportunity to show off his or her mind-reading prowess.
- A skilled magician and member of the magic circle, Tony is a long way from your cheesy party magician, and knows some top tricks.
- The 39-year magician and escapologist has performed in China many times.
- You must have seen illusion shows with magicians making people levitate.
- The youngsters, who are pupils at Wibsey Primary School, are also young magicians, performing with Simon in a family show called The Jacksons.
- The animal-free circus troupe has its roots in tradition, keeping their focus on garish costumes, amazing acrobatics, magicians and clowns.
- Every time the magician did a trick the parrot would ruin it.
- The act was part of the ‘magic with a mission,’ performed by the renowned magician from Kerala, Gopinath Muthukad.
- In one trick, the magician tosses a new deck of cards into the audience, where it is caught by someone, whose name turns out to be Susan.
- Puppeteers, dancers, and magicians perform nightly on the lawn in front of the theater.
- Prof. Kamesh is a well-known magician whose tricks are based on a theme.
- Clowns, magicians and puppets are set to entertain shoppers over the summer holidays, with Basildon's Eastgate Centre starting its summer festival today.
- To add fun and colour there are, of course, entertainers such as clowns, jugglers, magicians and singers out and about at the main sites and on the streets.
- One of the things that Orson wanted to do was this trick that a magician in the 1930s had done called the ‘Duck Tub’.
- And on this ship was a magician, a conjurer, whose function was to entertain the passengers.
- There was even a magician performing some wonderful tricks, unfortunately he had done a disappearing act by the time I turned up.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.