In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Physicsimán masculineto be a magnet for sth/sb — atraer como un imán a algo/algn
- At a synchrotron radiation source, electrons emit radiation as they are guided by magnets around a storage ring.
- When you picked up the clip with the magnet the clip was accelerated toward the magnet acquiring kinetic energy.
- Samarium-cobalt magnets retain their magnetic properties at high temperatures and are not very reactive.
- When a paramagnetic material is placed in a strong magnetic field, it becomes a magnet, and as long as the strong magnetic field is present, it will attract and repel other magnets in the usual way.
- The bar magnet gets its overall magnetization because all of these little component magnets are pointing in the same direction, and add up for an overall effect.
- A magnet cannot attract iron, when deeply embedded in mud.
- If you have a mixture of salt and tiny pieces of iron, you could use a magnet to separate the iron from the mixture.
- The spinning protons in the hydrogen nuclei act like tiny magnets and align their spins with or against the magnetic field.
- Some of the bottles are equipped with external magnets by which a viewer can manipulate the trapped shapes.
- Iron, cobalt and nickel are the best known metallic magnets, and their magnetic properties are governed by the conduction electrons that are free to move throughout the metal.
- Hutter spinels are strongly magnetic and can be separated from crushed samples of the rock with a hand magnet.
- The main component of the Sun's magnetic field is similar to a bar magnet, with a positive pole and a negative pole.
- Motors, relays, generators, or simply other magnets or magnetic materials, can all also cause the pointer to move, overpowering the Earth's magnetism.
- You effectively have a tiny current going around, and when you have a current like that you have a magnetic field - the electron becomes a tiny magnet.
- A spinning superconductor acts like a very weak magnet, with the poles of the magnet precisely aligned with the axis of the spin.
- Three workers, migrants from rural areas, are retrieving waste iron using a magnet on the end of a bamboo pole.
- To complete the magnet, the coils were encased in an iron yoke then wrapped in a 40-millimeter-thick aluminum shell.
- Ferroelectric materials can create an electric field the way iron magnets create a magnetic field.
- Now water contains hydrogen atoms, and the nucleus of a hydrogen atom is a tiny magnet.
- Understanding more complex substances is the key to designing materials for stronger magnets in order to build more efficient and powerful electrical generators and motors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.