In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In breathless prose, delivered down the telephone or by mailshot, we are informed that this is our lucky day.
- Businesses have been warned about firms claiming to regulate health and safety legislation for cash after a number of companies in the district were targeted through a mailshot.
- We will run mailshots for you monthly or every other month to your clients and new prospects, freeing up your time to concentrate on your business.
- How many times have you found your mailshots have missed the mark - or are addressed to the wrong decision maker?
- Most importantly, you probably won't have a good way of targeting the mailshot, that is, making sure that only those interested in the topic covered by the mailshot, actually get that information.
- A Whitbread spokesman said the error was due to an outside agency using an old list of contacts for a nationwide mailshot.
- When we heard he was retiring we did a mailshot of our own around Harry's round and everyone thought it would be nice to give him a big thank you.
- Consumers were bombarded with mailshots offering new credit card deals, advertisements for credit and promotions to encourage young people to run up overdrafts and take out loans and mortgages.
- University candidates must lobby their electoral college by means of a mailshot to their tens of thousands of voters.
- A successful mailshot requires both time and effort at the planning stage.
- The 500 or so firms that replied to the mailshot thought they were registering for a free service.
- The Scottish Daily Mail recently launched a massive mailshot with seven weeks' worth of vouchers offering the paper at 1p.
- Up to 140,000 homes in Belgium and a further 140,000 in Holland have been targeted by mailshots extolling the beauties of York as a tourist destination.
- The Office of Fair Trading has warned consumers to be on the lookout for personal loan mailshots which break the law by advertising misleading interest rates.
- Kingston Council is to carry out a mailshot of residents in the borough to find out more about the employment needs and aspirations of people with physical disabilities.
- When you introduce a new product or service, send a press release to all relevant media publications and a newsletter or mailshot to clients or customers.
- On top of this, consumers are bombarded by television and newspaper adverts, as well as mailshots dropping through their letterboxes daily, enticing them to take out credit.
- There are endless possibilities with mailshots and a well targeted mailshot is an increasingly effective way of generating business.
- The main aim of a mailshot, just like any other advertising scheme, is to raise awareness and interest of the product/service that is being sold.
- The bogus mailshots look official in appearance and focus on data protection and warn of criminal offences if companies do not register with them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.