In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Two firefighters, in breathing apparatus, entered the maisonette to find the main lounge room alight.
- And from the maisonette to the mansion, the pressure to make it all happen falls on women.
- But despite his marriage and his supposedly settled family life in a council maisonette, he had yet to receive a passport.
- Tulle Court, built in the 1970s, comprises 54 homes of one, two and three-bedroom flats and maisonettes.
- The situation improved when the council cleared unpopular maisonettes and private developers built new homes.
- The company says most of the two and three-bedroom apartments and maisonettes were bought by a wide variety of people.
- So far their plans have got no further than deciding to move from their council maisonette in Chidlow Avenue.
- I live in a maisonette with no garden but I have been able to get the kids out the house by coming here.
- In the maisonnette, at the ground floor there is a dining room with a kitchen, living room and bathroom.
- The road, built 27 years ago, is a small, peaceful cul-de-sac mostly containing council-owned flats and maisonettes.
- These comprise eight maisonettes and two penthouse apartments as well as 12 parking spaces.
- My first home was a three-bedroom maisonette in upper Sea Point.
- A young mother living in the maisonette next door only had time to grab her two children before fleeing.
- Next month they will have to move out of their two-bedroom maisonette in Elm Tree Gardens which they have had on a short-term tenancy.
- For your accommodation needs when you visit Pelion, we have a fine selection of maisonettes to let.
- Marty Phelan MCC informed the meeting that there are 35 new houses including maisonettes to be built at new line.
- These may include creating maisonettes with ground-floor bedrooms and living rooms above, where they will receive more light.
- The development includes 12 apartments, 38 semi-detached houses, five town houses, 12 maisonettes, and two detached houses.
- We live in a two-bedroom maisonette with no garden, and it's hard to get out of the cycle.
- However, residents of flats and maisonettes can also do much to improve the security of their homes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.