In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of appearance, landscape, music)majestuosidad femininea view of the palace in all its majesty — una vista del palacio en todo su majestuoso esplendor
- the full majesty of the law is embodied in him — él encarna toda la autoridad de la ley
- However often I saw it, I never ceased to be awed by its august power, majesty and beauty.
- Before that, the excitement of the opening ceremony and the sheer majesty of the Olympic experience will be theirs to relish.
- To enjoy the natural beauty and majesty of Kili, you do not even have to climb it.
- Is it possible that a glimpse of the awesome majesty of the night sky, once revealed, would help to overcome anti-social behaviour?
- I think there's a majesty in it that makes it redemptive.
- Or, how can we acknowledge the majesty and awesomeness of God with our nose stuck in a hymn book or liturgical program?
- Suddenly the solemnity of the occasion and the majesty of its setting overcame everyone and reverential silence descended.
- So as you reflect on the glory and the majesty of Easter, be open to the Lord.
- A large chamber dwelled within a large castle that dwelled within a land of immense beauty and majesty.
- The adventure opened their eyes to the beauty and majesty of Latin America but also to the social injustice and poverty that surrounded them.
- At a universal level both the Sun and Leo are associated with royalty, majesty, stateliness, dignity, and authority.
- When the skies clear, the awesome landscape communicates its majesty through an eerie silence.
- The Clay Bird is filled with great splendour and majesty.
- It wasn't the first time she'd been in the judgement court, but the majesty of it always filled her with awe.
- So let us not mistake the significance or miss the majesty of what we have witnessed.
- One generation saw the plagues in Egypt, the Red Sea parting, and the awesome majesty of Sinai.
- I was blown away by the beauty and majesty of the ensemble choir, who only got together for the first time some three days earlier.
- His majesty and beauty spoke to me in ways that no priest had ever been able to, and I was breathless from his presence.
- But with their beauty and their majesty they remind us of who and where we are in this world.
- It feels like the best available foil to the stately majesty of Test matches.
2Majesty(as title)MajestadHer Majesty (the Queen) — su Majestad (la Reina)
- Their Majesties the King and Queen of Spain — sus Majestades los Reyes de España
- Your Majesty — su Majestad
- Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs — Hacienda
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.