In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1liga nacional femininebefore noun major-league companies — compañías de primera línea feminine
- major-league player — jugadora de liga nacional or de las grandes ligas
- He was later injured and sidelined for over a month, preventing him from breaking past Reiser for the major-league record.
- Honel threw a major-league fastball and curveball in the strike zone and Snyder looked foolish.
- He wore a major-league baseball uniform, an Astros uniform, and did so proudly.
- Hernandez is the youngest pitcher to start a major-league game since Jose Rijo in 1984.
- Bonds broke the major-league record for Bases on Balls in a season, with his 171st free pass.
- Travis Fryman has arguably the worst minor-league track record of any successful major-league player.
- Two batters later he faced Andy Phillips, who was making his major-league debut.
- Oliva spent his entire major-league career as a player and coach with the Minnesota Twins organization.
- Palmeiro is no longer a major-league caliber ballplayer.
- Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela now had ballplayers playing for major-league teams.
- Did you realize the Oakland A's have three players in their starting lineup who are the sons of former major-league baseball players?
- But, by the time Al caught his last major-league game, he had set a record by catching in more than 1,900 games.
- Turns out the dirty little secret in question is amphetamine use among major-league baseball players.
- He appears to be the lone active, prominent major-league baseball player who has flatly admitted using them.
- Like most of us, my dreams of setting foot on a major-league baseball field died a painful, inglorious death in youth.
- The kid DePaula was looking mighty impressive in his first major-league start.
- By now, you all likely know about the alleged relationship between an editor of Out magazine and a major-league player.
- Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.
- Most embarrassingly, Mussina tied a major-league record by allowing six doubles in one inning.
- I had the opportunity to see Baxter pitch in high school he had a major-league future.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.