In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1liga nacional femininebefore noun major-league companies — compañías de primera línea feminine
- major-league player — jugadora de liga nacional or de las grandes ligas
- Most embarrassingly, Mussina tied a major-league record by allowing six doubles in one inning.
- Bonds broke the major-league record for Bases on Balls in a season, with his 171st free pass.
- Like most of us, my dreams of setting foot on a major-league baseball field died a painful, inglorious death in youth.
- Travis Fryman has arguably the worst minor-league track record of any successful major-league player.
- He wore a major-league baseball uniform, an Astros uniform, and did so proudly.
- But, by the time Al caught his last major-league game, he had set a record by catching in more than 1,900 games.
- Honel threw a major-league fastball and curveball in the strike zone and Snyder looked foolish.
- Two batters later he faced Andy Phillips, who was making his major-league debut.
- By now, you all likely know about the alleged relationship between an editor of Out magazine and a major-league player.
- Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela now had ballplayers playing for major-league teams.
- Did you realize the Oakland A's have three players in their starting lineup who are the sons of former major-league baseball players?
- Palmeiro is no longer a major-league caliber ballplayer.
- Oliva spent his entire major-league career as a player and coach with the Minnesota Twins organization.
- The kid DePaula was looking mighty impressive in his first major-league start.
- I had the opportunity to see Baxter pitch in high school he had a major-league future.
- He was later injured and sidelined for over a month, preventing him from breaking past Reiser for the major-league record.
- Turns out the dirty little secret in question is amphetamine use among major-league baseball players.
- He appears to be the lone active, prominent major-league baseball player who has flatly admitted using them.
- Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.
- Hernandez is the youngest pitcher to start a major-league game since Jose Rijo in 1984.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.