In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The majorettes play a significant role in the successes of the orchestra.
- A total of 14 acts were laid on for a 170-strong audience, with majorettes, solo singers, trumpet players and dancers strutting their stuff on stage.
- She marched behind the St Joseph's Accordion Band and the majorettes in this year's St Patrick's Day parade in New York.
- There will be 40 floats in tomorrow's procession, accompanied by marching bands, majorettes and cheerleaders.
- People confuse us with majorettes but we don't perform at the same kind of functions.
- Troupes of majorettes and dancers in distinct uniforms from across the region took turns to put on dazzling displays.
- It will include floats, vintage cars, majorettes, stilt walkers, dancers and music.
- You could be sure that their majorettes were not only good twirlers, they were good students.
- A reunion for people who were in the local majorettes troupe in the late 1970s is being organised for October with a trip to the Isle of Man.
- Entertainment was provided by morris dancers, majorettes and wrestlers, with Bratton Silver Band also on hand to get the toes tapping.
- If majorettes and samba bands are taking part it is a lot of hard work for them.
- She said: ‘Ideally we would like ex majorettes and they have to be over 21.’
- What are required are accordion players, drummers and majorettes.
- There's always like two ladies that look like Katherine Harris sitting in the corner, like ‘We used to be majorettes.’
- A popular community centre could be shut down, leaving majorettes, martial arts' enthusiasts and bowls players with nowhere to go.
- How about those majorettes, you know, the baton twirlers, ever see them strut?
- Both events feature arts and crafts stalls, a fun fair, majorettes ' performances, a brass band and a barbecue.
- At a recent wedding, I saw a dancing mother twirl a rifle in both hands above her head like the baton of a majorette.
- When I was a little girl I really wanted to be a majorette, so my mom signed me up with the Oregon Journal Juniors Majorettes.
- Marching bands, majorettes and decorated floats will make up this year's Northfleet carnival on July 3.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.