In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gobierno de la mayoría masculine
- These tactics not only violate democracy and majority rule, but arguably offend the Constitution as well.
- Still, there is a distinction to be made between majority rule and majoritarianism.
- The goal of enshrining minority protections before majority rule is a worthy one.
- In America, there has never been true majority rule.
- That Union was based on the principle of majority rule, with constitutional rights carefully delineated for the minority.
- As Novak points out, Jews have flourished in polities that respect majority rule and protect individual rights.
- Yet in practice, liberal democracy should also allow for checks on government and limits to majority rule.
- Rousseau laid the basis for modern ideas of democracy and the legitimacy of majority rule.
- It was Smith who declared that there would ‘never in a thousand years’ be black majority rule in Rhodesia.
- First, it challenges the traditional narrow equation of democracy with majority rule.
- Did you know that the constitution nowhere says that Congress has to pass laws by majority rule?
- This, say nationalists, is majority rule by the back door.
- The danger in such a course is you have majority rule, and that does not necessarily produce the best law.
- Their opposition is more elemental: they do not accept the principle of democratic majority rule.
- After all, if violence can prevent majority rule, it can also be employed to restore such rule.
- In the homogenizing nation-state, justice and majority rule could for some time be perceived as one and the same.
- Democracy means majority rule, but it also means minority rights.
- They were designed to ease the transition to black majority rule, while avoiding the danger of social revolution.
- Most of us would consider such an exercise in majority rule unacceptable.
- This was the first instance of black majority rule in South Africa.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.